As a Coast Guard member, you have to go where you’re needed, when you’re needed. Even though you have access to moving services or government discounts, it can still be expensive – especially when a permanent change of station (PCS) can come as often as once a year.
While the government arranges for the move when being transported by military moving companies, many families opt for a personally procured move (PPM) instead. With this option, you have to arrange and pay for the moving services although the military will reimburse you for a portion of the cost.
There must be additional ways for members of the military to save money! Thankfully, many businesses and organizations offer military discounts that can save you a chunk of change. Keep reading to learn more so you are ready the next time a PCS comes your way.
When you receive the PCS notice, your first thought is getting all of your stuff from here to there. Moving companies not only help you move but they can also help you pack! As a busy Coast Guard member, that might be the extra help you need.
If you want to do more on your own at your own pace, there are military discounts covering truck rentals and storage/moving containers.
With all the moving companies and moving options out there, how do you know which ones offer the best military discounts? SeaWest has you covered
Full-Service Moving Company
If you’re pressed for time or simply want to have everything done, a full-service moving company may be the solution. Unfortunately, it can be a challenge to find full-service movers that offer a military discount on a national level. It is recommended that you contact local companies to inquire even if you don’t see any information on their websites.
North American Van Lines is perhaps the only major moving company that offers a military discount nationwide. They even have discounts on international moves! North American offers free full-value protection (FVP) up to $100,000 for Veterans Advantage members and disabled veterans.
If you want to take on the task of packing and moving on your own, you’re eligible for some military discounts on rental trucks.
- Budget: Budget gives you 20% off your truck rental – but only if you’re active-duty personnel with travel orders. Use the discount code USMIO.
- Penske: Active and veteran military members can receive a 10% discount off their Penske truck rental with promo code MILITARY. Penske also has a dedicated call center for U.S. military moves. By calling 1-844-4TROOPS (1-844-487-6677), you can get military-specific assistance.
With the popularity of moving and storage containers increasing, so is the amount of discounts available to members of the military. If you choose to go this route, you are in luck!
- U-Pack: With U-Pack, you can get $50 off moving and storage container services with discount code MIL50. Whereas other companies offer a discount after other fees, U-Pack’s discount applies to your final bill, including protection plans, fuel costs, and other fees.
- PODS: With promo code MILT, active-duty members and veterans can save 10%. This discount applies to storage, too!
- SMARTBOX: Take $20 off your SMARTBOX service with promo code MILOFF20.
- CubeSmart: CubeSmart offers a 5% military discount on storage in addition to other specials or promotions available. No promo code so be sure to ask about the discount when you contact them.
Whether your vehicle is en route with a mover or you don’t want to use your car for the heavy lifting, you may need a rental car during your move. Many national car rental companies offer military discounts in recognition of your service.
- Enterprise: Enterprise offers members of the military a 5% discount off base rates for government leisure travel. The company also offers a discount for official government travel. Reach out to Enterprise for more details.
- Avis: Avis offers up to a 25% military discount but only to Veterans Advantage members.
- Budget: Like Avis, Budget provides a 25% discount to Veterans Advantage members.
Other car rental companies, such as Hertz and Alamo, offer discounts to members of the military but vary by location. As always, reach out to your local establishments to learn more.
Food and Shelter
If you’re making a long move, you will most likely need a place to stay and somewhere to get a good meal. Check out these military discounts to stick to your budget.
Nearly all major hotel chains offer some type of military discount. That can help make travel easier! From Hilton to Marriott to IHG (and everything in between), members of the military are recognized for their service.
It’s recommended that you reach out to your hotel of choice and ask about their military discounts since they can vary by establishment and location.
You and your family have to eat, right? This is even more true after a long day of driving or packing!
Many restaurants have special offers or rates on Veterans Day only but there are dining facilities that say thank you to service members year-round. Be sure to call ahead or simply ask when you get to the restaurant. Even if it’s not advertised, some places will offer a veteran a discount on the spot.
So, you’ve packed, moved, dined, and rested. Now, you’re in a new home and recognize that some work needs to be done. Don’t worry – the military discounts don’t stop when the move is complete. Both Home Depot and Lowe’s offer great discounts to military members.
- Lowe’s: The Everyday Military Discount at Lowe’s gives a 10% discount to active-duty members and veterans. This discount has no annual limit and extends to military spouses. You can use their Military Validation page to enroll and confirm your military status through ID.me.
- Home Depot: Home Depot also offers a 10% discount every day to active military, veterans, and their spouses. Home Depot is invested in several veteran causes through the Home Depot Foundation.
And even though you can use these discounts for home improvements after you move, since they are offered every day, you can use them pre-move as well. Did someone say boxes, bubble wrap, and tape?
Military Discounts: A Deserved Thank You!
It’s been said before, but it’s worth repeating: always check with your local establishment on military discounts. And always ask even if you don’t see one advertised. You never know!
At SeaWest, we believe our members and their families deserve access to the very best every day. We hope some of these discounts can help you during your next PCS. Moving isn’t always easy but, as Coast Guard members, you go where you are needed to serve your country.
SeaWest offers additional ways for members of the Coast Guard and their families to save money and prepare for everything life can bring. This includes, among other products, our personal loans and credit cards. These can be essential during a move!
Click below to learn more about how SeaWest can help you today.
Wondering about other money matters? Ask us a question!
Your question will not be publicly connected with your name or email. We will answer your question but we may not publish your question for others to see. Please give us up to 48 hours to give you the best possible answer.